The Citadel

Our Home

Bricks and mortar are not everything for a church community, but they do count for something. The Citadel on Gillygate was opened by William Booth of the Salvation Army in 1883, and in August 2015 it became the “home” of York City Church. Since 2015 the Citadel has played host to concerts, art exhibitions, the Syrian Refugee Council, charity fundraisers, Foodbank, and the main meeting of the City of York Council. It’s a privilege for us to own a historic building that enables us to love and serve the city in continuity with the wider Christian community.

Getting to the Citadel: The Citadel is 10 minutes walk from the train station, and the number 1 bus route also stops right outside. If you’re driving, there is Union Terrace car park a few doors down and limited disabled parking on site (please contact ahead of time if required).

Interested in using one of the rooms in the Citadel for an event?

Get in Touch